What Is an Overdenture?
Posted by Dr. Bird on Apr 13 2022, 08:01 AM
Have you ever noticed that your grandma's removable denture slips out when she eats or speaks? Yes, there’s a constant struggle to hold traditional dentures in place while speaking or laughing. Hence, an overdenture is a complete solution. This is a denture prosthesis supported by implants to eliminate the issues with slippage.
An overdenture can be fixed or removable based on your personal preference. They can provide a natural smile in which the overdenture is stable and held in the right position. With an overdenture, you can enjoy your favorite food, express your emotion with effective speech, and laugh without the worry that the denture would slip.
Benefits of an Overdenture
- Improved confidence while eating and speaking
- A long-term solution for missing teeth
- Looks and feels like natural teeth
- No risk of slippage as in the traditional denture
- Preserves the jawbone
- Maintenance of oral hygiene is easy
- They are reliable and safe and offer good protection to the teeth
- Improved quality of life
- Enhanced emotional, physical, and psychological well-being and looks younger in appearance
Although overdentures are a permanent solution for your missing teeth, offering greater confidence and comfort than a normal denture, they are very expensive. But an overdenture cannot move out of the position easily and is a long-lasting investment for both oral health and overall health.
Procedure for Overdenture
- Initially, the dentist may review the overall medical and dental history of the patient. Dental impressions and radiographs are taken to examine whether you require additional bone grafting or sinus augmentation procedures.
- The patient is administered a local anesthetic to numb the teeth and surrounding area. Modern dentistry technology helps your dentist navigate where to correctly place the implants. Then, titanium screws are surgically placed into the jawbone. The healing process takes nearly three to six months.
- Once you’re healed, a healing cap is introduced for promoting soft and hard tissue healing around an implant. Impressions are sent to the laboratory for fabricating an overdenture that suits you.
- The dentist inserts a custom-made overdenture that fits into position with great precision. The patient should follow post-care instructions to take prompt care of the new prosthetic.
If you are confident that your elder who is constantly struggling with traditional dentures can improve their quality of life with overdentures, schedule an appointment right now. Visit us at Paradise Family Dental, 4900 Paradise Way, Suite 104, West Richland, WA 99353. Call us at (509) 581-0626 to book an appointment.