Importance of regular dental checkups
Posted by Dr. Bird on Feb 16 2021, 09:35 PM
Regular teeth cleaning and a dental checkup are what we call a hygiene appointment or a recall visit. The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends having a regular dental visit at least once every six months or as advised by the dental professional. A regular dental visit is essential to keep your teeth and gums healthy.
What happens at your dental visit?
The regular checkups at the dentist are not just about teeth cleaning. There are two parts to a regular dental visit – checkup or examination and the cleaning or oral prophylaxis.
During a regular dental visit,
- Every new patient visit will begin by having digital x-rays to examine your dental conditions.
- During the dental checkup, your teeth will be examined to detect cavities and the accumulation of plaque and tartar on your teeth. The plaque, a clear, sticky layer of bacteria, can harden and become tartar if not removed on time. The buildup of plaque and tartar on your teeth can lead to various oral diseases. Using special tools, your dentist will remove the accumulated tartar through a process called scaling. After your teeth are scaled, they are polished to remove any surface stains on your teeth. The final step involved in professional teeth cleaning is flossing. Your dentist will use floss to make sure the areas between your teeth are clean.
- The doctor will also conduct a screen for oral cancer and oral lesions and an examination for oral symptoms of other serious diseases like cancer, heart disease, and diabetes.
- Our dentist will examine your gums using a special tool to measure the depth of the spaces between your teeth and gums to evaluate the signs of gum disease. The spaces may become deeper for people with gum disease.
- We will perform an exam of your dentition for possible new & recurrent decay. If decay is detected, you will be given treatment options.
- At the end of your visit, you will be given instructions on how to maintain good oral hygiene, including effective brushing and flossing.
What you should do between each dental visit
Along with regular dental checkups and cleaning, you should also take care of your teeth and gums at home for having a healthy and beautiful set of teeth. Plaque always forms on your teeth, but it can be managed well by regular brushing and flossing.
Follow these tips for good oral care at home.
- Brush and floss your teeth at least twice a day. For brushing, use a toothpaste that contains fluoride.
- Use a mouthwash that can control plaque bacteria. Using fluoride-containing mouthwash will also help to keep your breath fresh.
Why Opt for Professional Teeth Cleaning?
Regular tooth cleanings and dental checkups are critical for providing healthy, clean teeth and encouraging general good health. Routine tooth cleaning and checkups:
- Remove stains that discolor your teeth resulting in a whiter, brighter smile.
- Prevent gum disease.
- Detect oral cancer during the early stages.
- Save patients money on dental expenses in the future.
- Prevent and resolve bad breath.
- Prevent tooth decay
Proper oral care at home and regular dental visits are the first steps towards enjoying a beautiful, healthy smile. Call us to schedule an appointment.